"Steengoed of steenkool?
An introduction to Mastering Legal English
In this unique legal English programme, you will have a day-long training session with an experienced English-speaking lawyer-linguist. He will provide specific personal feedback on your speaking and writing skills. The training will be in the form of speaking exercise(s), feedback on a submitted writing sample, explanations on various language points, short exercises, Q&A, and discussion. The themes discussed may (depending on the group) include language conventions, vocabulary and terminology, common Dutchisms, grammar, verb tenses, sentence structure and style, expressing obligations, entitlements and conditions, and more.
The target group fort his intensive course is lawyers that frequently communicate on an international level.
This course is set up as a day-long training in a classical setting.
Who is the trainer?
- Assess your level of English (CEFR score).
- Assess your legal English levels and what you need to work on in the future.
- Receive lawyer-to-lawyer personal feedback.
- Q&A with an English-speaking lawyer-linguist with expertise in legal English and legal drafting.
- Find out some of the mistakes you are making when you speak and write in English.
- A sample of your legal English writing will be carefully reviewed by an expert and commented on.
- Learn some of the writing mistakes made by your class when it comes to (1) common Dutchisms, (2) conventions, (3) vocabulary and legal terminology, (4) verb tenses and other grammar, (5) sentence structure, (6) style and (7) expressing obligations, entitlements and conditions.
- Practice speaking (legal) English.
- Learn what areas you need to work on for the future.
What will you receive after participation?
You will receive a certificate for participating this course and NOvA 5J (PO) accreditation points or by choice 5 accreditation points for permanent education.
This training is lead by a native English-speaking lawyer-linguist